Welcome to today's post.
Bonjour, mon cheveaux. (Hello, my hair.)
This morning I woke up to what may be the most annoying noise I've ever heard in my life. A bird that should have lost its life long ago due to disturbing the peace was squawking in a way that said, "WHYYYY AM I STILL ALIIIVE? I'M SO ANNOYIIIING..." So I got up, showered, and headed out. I got a bagel from some random place on 72nd. (I think the shop was literally called 72nd's Bagels) Then I sat at the subway station in a little plaza and ate it before hopping on board the 1 Train and going down to 42nd. Then I walked a few blocks to Lexington Avenue to the location listed online for Grand Central Station tours to meet. I was five minutes late due to a late train, and there was no one in sight. I ran across the street inside the Terminal and looked around, asked some tellers at a few windows, and no one was helpful. I had just about had it, super upset about missing my long-awaited tour of this magnificent place. I walked down to the center of the terminal and shot this little number:
I was standing there craning my neck to see the constellations painted on the ceiling when I heard a loud obnoxious voice (I thought the bird that woke me up had somehow followed me to the station) - I looked and saw a man with a clipboard. A TOUR GUIDE! I went over and listened. THE TOUR! The Universe had smiled upon me once again. I thanked it.
These are the lovely giant windows that serve an incredible purpose, described above in the tour-info post. :-)
As many of you know, I absolutely love Cathedrals. This is St. Patrick's:


It was absolutely beautiful inside and sooo peaceful. I love that there are places on this earth that simply demand silence - some castles and gardens I saw in Spain had this same feeling. Some beaches in Hawai'i have this feeling. It is so poignant. How neat that amidst all the business buildings, apartments, stores, taxis, and restaurants there is this massive church in the center of it all - doors open - and inside is total calm and quiet.
Then I found a subway station that had trains to get me home. I was standing on the platform where the front of the train stopped so you can't see the full speed of it pulling in, but this is a video for those who have never taken a subway/tube/metro/trax ride. (kidding about trax. kinda.)
Once home, I made an early dinner and headed off to POWER YOGA! It was a total butt-kicker but so spiritually/mentally/physically cleansing. I was loving it and pushed myself to try some new things. The instructor was fabulous - better than the one I had on Wednesday, so I'm going to her class tomorrow to enjoy more Yogi wisdom. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment