- creation/collaboration/spirituality (peace)
- comfort/health/safety
- companionship/validation/honor
- survival/security/ownership
- success/fulfillment/recognition
- travel/knowledge/truth
- humour/pleasure/simplicity (ease)
I greatly desire to share this poem by Rumi, who is wonderful with words:
I've said before that every craftsman
searches for what's not there
to practice his craft.
A builder looks for the rotten hole
where the roof caved in. A water-carrier
picks the empty pot. A carpenter
stops at the house with no door.
Workers rush toward some hint
of emptiness, which they then
start to fill. Their hope, though,
is for emptiness, so don't think
you must avoid it. It contains
what you need!
Dear soul, if you were not friends
with the vast nothing inside,
why would you always be casting you net
into it, and waiting so patiently?
...
Know that your body nurtures the spirit,
helps it grow, and gives it wrong advise.
The body becomes, eventually, like a vest
of chain mail in peaceful years,
too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
an unpredictable associate, whom you must be
patient with. And that companion is helpful,
because patience expands your capacity
to love and feel peace.
...
Friendship and loyalty have patience
as the strength of their connection.
Feeling lonely and ignoble indicates
that you haven't been patient.
I am also in the mindset of discovering what I simply do not desire and cannot tolerate. I think this list is much more lengthy, not to mention shame-based/fear-based. When you think about it, we are all shame-based - motivated to action because we...
1. Fear the possibility of feeling shame because we do/say/think/want something
2. Learned from our past shame and want to avoid similar experiences
3. Want to help others avoid being shamed
It's all a mess, isn't it? :) Regardless, I got what I "wanted" and I'll be in the Opera this coming Spring. It spurred these thoughts in me and I had to give them life.
Allllliiiiccccccce. Hey girl, when is the opera? Do you graduate this Spring?
ReplyDelete